When Miss Beth Claire contacted me about doing a photo session while she was in town, I was a bit blown away. Why, you may wonder. Well because she is a boudoir photographer herself! Yes that’s right. Boudoir photography is in itself fun, rewarding, and a total blast for the client and the photographer. But boudoir photography OF a boudoir photographer well it totally rocks!
Since Beth is a boudoir photographer this meant she has a network of photographers she could probably go to for a shoot. She could of asked anyone! And yet she was seeking me out. I was shocked, curious and also completely flattered at the the same time. Then the more I thought about it, I’ll admit for a moment I felt a little nervous. I mean, this is one boudoir session I had better get right! OH the pressure! LOL, ok maybe I’m exaggerating a little. But I really did need to bring my A game to this one.
Any light jitters I felt melted away as soon as we talked on the phone. That’s when I knew without a doubt this was going to be an awesomely fun photo shoot. Beth is from Connecticut and was coming down to south Florida for a boudoir pinup seminar and doing a boudoir shoot was going to be a surprise for her husband. She drove up from Ft. Lauderdale to my home studio in Boca Raton FL and we had a fantastic time shooting together. She mentioned that she wanted to feel sexy again after having kids and she really didn’t have any romantically sexy images of herself. Well, I would just have to change that! 🙂
Miss Beth is an absolutely AMAZING woman with a dynamic aura. Her personality is outgoing and vivacious all the while maintaining a sweetness that can’t help but make you smile. Among other things this woman is downright…COOL. I am so thankful to have met her, and connected with her through the art of boudoir that we both share a passion for. I am blessed to have a new friend who is even more beautiful on the inside than the pictures can ever show.
1) Why did you decide to book a boudoir photography shoot? I decided to book a boudoir shoot for a few reasons. First, and probably most importantly, I needed to feel sexy again. I had a baby a year ago (a year ago last week, actually) and I’ve been in mommy-mode ever since. In fact, I have 4 kids… 9, 7, 2 and 1 and I don’t get much time for myself. I remember when my husband and I first met and I dressed up to go out on dates with him. We had impromptu rendezvous in the middle of the afternoon and, oh yeah, I bothered to shave my legs. 😉 In the past few years I feel like I have lost a bit of that connection, not only with him but with myself. Don’t get me wrong, he loves me now even more than he did then but I needed a real boost for my self-confidence! I needed to reclaim my “sexy” in a serious way! Sure, I still have a wobbly post-baby belly and my thighs are a little rounder than I’d prefer but hey, that’s life. I decided that, rather than wait until I lose those last 10 (or is it 15…) pounds or I get my abs back, I’d like to embrace and celebrate myself right now, as I am. I couldn’t be happier that I did it!!!
My second reason for choosing to book a boudoir session is that I am a boudoir photographer myself and I wanted to see things from my clients’ perspective. It has been a few years since I’ve been in front of the camera and I felt like it was time to put myself in my clients’ place. I wanted the nervous butterflies in my tummy feeling to be fresh in my mind so that I can appreciate how women feel when they walk into my studio for the first time. It was so much fun to use all of my pre-shoot tips and tricks for myself and I had a blast picking out wardrobe, shoes, accessories and packing my suitcase like some supermodel before I left for my trip!
2) How did you prepare for your boudoir session? I prepared for my session the same way that I encourage my clients to prepare for theirs. I started by checking out the Spotlight Sexy Boudoir website and blog. I read Renee’s tips, tricks and suggestions and perused her galleries. I started to put together ideas in my head of looks I’d like to create and how I wanted to look and feel on the day of my shoot. Normally, I’ve got a bit of an edge to my personality and style and I decided that it would be fun to try something different for my shoot so I went with elegant, classic, romantic looks that felt timeless. I also am really inspired by Marie Antoinette so I tied that into my shoot as well, with choices that reflected her love of beauty and excess. I also talked to Renee on the phone and asked for her ideas! I love when my clients ask for my opinion and trust me to help them create beautiful images. I chose Renee because I loved her photography and her eye, so I trusted her to guide my choices and make suggestions. Then it was time for the real-world preparations… shaving, waxing, a french manicure, root touch-up for my hair and all of those girly last-minute details!
3) Why did you choose Spotlight Sexy Boudoir Photography by Renee Zona? I chose Spotlight Sexy because I love Renee’s photography. Yes, once I talked to her on the phone I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was the perfect photographer for me, but what sold me before I even contacted her was her portfolio. She has an incredible eye for what makes a woman beautiful. I noticed right away her careful attention to detail, her flawless retouching (which you know is perfect when you don’t notice it at all), her beautiful studio space and the talent she brings to every shoot. Our styles are quite different, which made the experience even more fun! Sure, I could use my remote shutter release and take my own pictures but it was much more exciting to let someone see me in their own way and let the photos reflect their vision! Renee has a dreamy, soft, artistic boudoir style that I just adore. It is sexy, classy, fun and downright beautiful to look at! When I was searching the Boca Raton FL area for photographers there were many, many choices but Spotlight Sexy stood out to me as exactly what I was looking for!
4) How was your boudoir photo session experience? My boudoir experience was incredible. To be honest, I had those nervous butterflies before I arrived but Renee made me feel so at home from the moment I walked in the door! She is sweet, kind, friendly and fiercely funny! We were laughing and joking the whole time that (the absurdly talented) Chloe did my makeup! It was like a couple of girlfriends just hanging out! When I looked in the mirror when Chloe was finished I was blown away! I’ve had professional makeup done many times but this was just exquisite! I couldn’t stop staring at myself, lol! When we started to shoot Renee’s enthusiasm was downright contagious! She knows what looks good and helps with posing, expressions and also, thankfully, notices all those little details like twisted straps, stray hairs and wonky necklaces. She was an absolute pleasure to shoot with and she made me feel comfortable in front of the camera after only the first minute or two! I honestly felt like a supermodel!
5) Why should other women treat themselves to a photo shoot like this? WHY NOT???? We are worth it! We are beautiful! Society tells us that we have to be this size or this height or have this hair color… but that is ridiculous! We are all uniquely beautiful and nothing showcases that quite like boudoir photography. It is funny because I tell my clients that all the time… just do it! Don’t worry about those extra couple of pounds, or the stretch marks, or the whatever… but deep down I was still nervous. What if I thought I looked fat? What if I wasn’t pretty enough? What if…? I almost chickened out right before I contacted her for the first time but I reminded myself of what I tell all of my own clients and I decided to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak! I am so, so, so glad that I did… and you will be too! Women all too often end up “doing” and “being” for everyone but themselves. We get dragged down in the mundane day-to-day and forget that we are powerful, strong, beautiful and sexy just as we are. Don’t let someone else tell you are aren’t enough… thin enough, tall enough, beautiful enough, sexy enough… because you are. You are all of those things and more and I can’t think of a better way to prove it than to let it all out in front of the camera. Not only was it the experience of a lifetime but I’ll have breathtaking photos to remember it for the rest of my life!
Testimonial, from Miss Beth